Laws and Regulations Governing ITAR/EAR
Export Administration Regulations*
The Export Administration Act is implemented by the Export Administration Regulations. These regulations are issued by the United States Department of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration (BXA) under laws relating to the control of certain exports, reexports, and activities. The text of the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended, can be found under "Legal Authority for the EAR" link on the EAR Database page*.
Regulations Relating to Commerce and Foreign Trade*
Department of Commerce, Bureau of Export Administration 15 CFR 700-774 Part 734 details the scope of the regulations.
International Trade in Arms
Foreign Relations and Intercourse, Arms Export Control* BROKEN LINK
22 USC Chapter 39, Sections 2751-2799
The Arms Export Control Act is codified in the U.S. Code and implemented by the ITAR. Section 2771, "Military sales authorizations and ceilings;" Section 2778, "Control of arms exports and imports;" Section 2780, "Transactions with countries supporting acts of international terrorism."
National Security Decision Directive 189*
National Policy on the Transfer of Scientific, Technical and Engineering Information
Issued September 21, 1985 by President Ronald Reagan.
"This directive establishes national policy for controlling the flow of science, technology, and engineering information produced in federally-funded fundamental research at colleges, universities, and laboratories." The policy defines fundamental research and restates that the mechanism for control of information that might affect national security is classification.
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)*
The Arms Export Control Act is implemented by the ITAR. See Part 120, "Purpose and Definitions," for definitions of terms. Part 121 describes what is included in the U.S. Munitions List.
- Part 120 - Purpose and definitions*
- Part 121 - The United States munitions list
- Part 122 - Registration of manufacturers and exporters*
- Part 123 - Licenses for the export of defense articles*
- Part 124 - Agreements,off-shore procurement and other defense services*
- Part 125 - Licenses for the export of technical data and classified defense articles*
- Part 126 - General policies and provisions*
- Part 127 - Violations and penalties*
- Part 128 - Administrative procedures*
- Part 129 - Registration and licensing of brokers*
- Part 130 - Political contributions, fees and commissions*